|The Dutch established a lodge at Senya Beraku in 1667, and
entered into a long-standing relationship with the Agona State.
The Dutch subsequently built a fort there, due to the
potential trade in gold, ivory and slaves with the Akyem kingdom
located in the hinterland.
In 1705-06, the Dutch constructed a small triangular fort on
a promontory located near a cove, with a good ind beach nding beach.
The Dutch named it ‘De Goede Hoop’, meaning “Good Hope”.