|In the late 17th century, the small state of Acorn -
sandwiched between the larger British allies of Agona and Fante
sought to have a strong fort built on its territory to defend it
in case of attack.
The Dutch, while willing to erect a fort at Apam, were in no
position to build a large one.
Building of the fort commenced in 1697 on the summit of a
promontory close to a sheltered beach and bay. However,
disagreement between the two sides concerning the form of the
fort delayed its completion until 1702.
Hence the name they gave to the fort - Lijdzaamheid, meaning
The initial structure was a “small two-storey house”. Between
1701 and 1721, this was Strengthened with two demi-bastions at
diametrically opposite corners.