In the 1680’s, the Ahantaland around Inhuman settlement was a
bone of contention between the English and the Brandenburg.
The English were determined to acquire land there to build a
fort because many English interloper captains were accustomed to
trading at Fort Gross Fredericksburg to the detriment of English
The chief of Upper/Greater Dixcove leased to the English a
promontory site near Inhuman village, located on the shore of a
large and sheltered bay, later designated as Dick’s Cove (Dixcove).
The Cove’s calm waters and sandy beach made it an ideal
“harbour” for canoes and small boats while ships could anchor
about 3 kilometres offshore.
The Royal African Company commenced construction of the fort
in 1692 but was unable to complete it until 1698 because of
spasmodic attacks by the Ahanta people which continued well into
the 18th century on account of the presence of the Dutch fort
Babenstein at Butre.
The original fort, as seen and described by writers like Jean
Barbot, was square with a pointed bastion at each corner except
for the southwest corner which had a round tower.
Curtain walls linked the bastions and tower.
The inner structure comprised apartments, storage rooms and
kitchen arranged round a small courtyard.
Subsequently there were several alterations to the original
structure: a spur ending with a bastion, which was constructed
in the 1St century, consisted of garrison apartments storage
rooms and a workshop.
One of the hollow bastions in the main section of the fort
was employed as a slave prison.
By 1750, the fort was equipped to carry up to 25 canons.