Home | Hobbies | Books | Mutiara Laut | Website Projects | Links

Previous

The Dutch former Colonies

Ghana

  Fort St. Sebastian Shama

In the early years of Portuguese trading activity in the Gold Coast the first center which was frequented by them was the village of Shama, East of Cape of Three Points. Here they for several years maintained a small lodge. In 1558 a wooden palisade and a tower were built and a permanent garrison was established. During 1600s the garrison of this station was formed by only one official and in 1637 the Dutch, when occupied it, found this fort abandoned, they garrisoned it with a commander, 4 soldiers and 15 slaves (1645). In 1664 the fort was captured by the English, but a year later the Dutch regained possession and rebuilt it, near the fort they maintained a cotton plantation in 1765-1783. This fort was in theirs hands till 1872 when was ceded to the English.
 

Fort St. Sebastian, Shama

 
 

Fort-St.-Sebastian-at-Chama

Fort St. Sebastian, Shama

View-of-Fort-St.-Sebastian-at-Shama

Fort St. Sebastian, Shama

 

Side-view-of-Fort-St.-Sebastian-at-Shama

Fort St. Sebastian, Shama

Western-aspect-of-Fort-St.-Sebastian-at-Shama

Previous