|In August 1503 a small trading-post was built by the
Portuguese, West of Cape of Three Points, it was called Fort
Santo Antonio de Axim, During this Portuguese rule it was an
important trade centre. In 1515 this fort was rebuilt stronger.
The fort was garrisoned by only 10-20 Portuguese soldiers,
and they, if necessary, were assisted by a force of 150 Africans
After the Dutch capture of Sao Jorge, Axim remained in
Portuguese hands for a few years more, a first Dutch attack was
drove back in 1641, but in February 1642, a new attempt was
successful and the Dutch occupied the fort.
In 1664 the English captured the fort, but the Dutch soon
retook it again. It was in Dutch hands till 1872, when it was
sold to the English.