Home | Hobbies | Books | Mutiara Laut | Website Projects | Links

Previous • The Slave Trade • Amsterdam Island • Angola • Benin • Congo • Equatorial Guinea • Ghana • Liberia • Madagascar • Mauritius • Mozambique • Nigeria • San Thome and Principe • Senegal • Sierra Leone • St. Helena • Togo • South Africa

The Dutch former Colonies

Mozambique

Maputo Bay 1720-1730

The bay was discovered by the Portuguese navigator António de Campo, one of Vasco da Gama captains, in 1502. In 1544 the merchant trader Lourenço Marques explored the upper reaches of the estuaries leading into the bay. Subsequently King John III ordered the Bay to be named Baia de Lourenço Marques. Lourenço Marques is reputed to have named the bay Baía da Lagoa (Port. "Bay of the lagoon"). The origin of the more commonly known name Delagoa Bay is unknown. One interpretation is that Baia da Lagoa has been corrupted to Delagoa Bay. Another interpretation is that the goa in the name refers to the Portuguese colony Goa, and that Delagoa Bay was a port of call for Portuguese merchant ships on the way from Goa to Portugal.

In 1720 the Dutch East India Company built a fort and factory called Lijdzaamheid (Lydsaamheid) on the spot of Lourenço Marques (now Maputo), since April 1721 governed by an Opperhoofd (Chief facor), under authority of the Dutch Cape Colony, interrupted by Taylor's pirate occupation April 1722 – 28 August 1722; in December 1730 the settlement was abandoned.

 

Maputo Bay

Map-of-the-Bay-of-Mozambique

Previous • The Slave Trade • Amsterdam Island • Angola • Benin • Congo • Equatorial Guinea • Ghana • Liberia • Madagascar • Mauritius • Mozambique • Nigeria • San Thome and Principe • Senegal • Sierra Leone • St. Helena • Togo • South Africa